|The 2011 HRW harvest was decelerated this week by cool wet weather and green wheat, with losses reported in parts of southern Kansas and eastern Colorado due to severe hail storms. Wheat is now being harvested in north central and northeast Kansas, while the wheat in northwest Kansas has been slow to mature due to cooler and wetter weather over the past several weeks. |
Texas is now approximately 85% harvested with just the irrigated acres north of Amarillo remaining to be cut. Oklahoma is 98% complete, with the remaining 2% located in the panhandle and the irrigated acres. The southern Colorado harvest will be in full swing over the next week with favorable cutting conditions. Yields have generally been as expected in Texas and southwestern Oklahoma, but have been slightly better than expected as harvest moved into northern Oklahoma and southern Kansas.
Test weights for the 2011 HRW crop are averaging well above 61 pounds per bushel with protein levels exceeding 13%. Moisture is low compared to normal crop years. Dockage also remains low and is probably a result of the very dry conditions which did not allow germination of cool season grassy weeds. Shrunken and broken kernels, while still above last year’s final number, declined significantly this week to 1.5%. Thousand kernel weights are good, although lower than last year’s final.