As harvest time approaches for the 2020 U.S. hard red spring (HRS/DNS) wheat crop, domestic and international customers are anxious to get the latest crop information. With many in-person meetings and events put on hold this year, including the Wheat Quality Council’s Annual Spring Wheat Tour, many of our friends and customers will miss the opportunity to see the crop’s potential first-hand.
But as everyone has done in this new COVID-19 world, the North Dakota Wheat Commission (NDWC) and the North Dakota Grain Growers Association (NDGGA) are bringing the crop to stakeholders by hosting a virtual HRS/DNS update on Tuesday, July 28, at 9:00 a.m. Central Daylight Time. The meeting will be hosted on the Zoom application. To register, visit https://ndwheat.com/events/2020VirtualHardRedSpringWheatPreHarvestUpdate/.
Representatives from NDWC, NDGGA, farmers and wheat commissioners from Minnesota, Montana and and South Dakota will report on crop conditions, production and quality potential and other important issues that have affected this HRS/DNS crop. Extension experts will provide agronomic and disease updates, and producers will provide video and personal observations of crop conditions and maturity levels throughout the spring wheat region.
Here is the updated agenda:
- NDWC and NDGGA
Wheat Quality Council Update
- Dave Green, Wheat Quality Council
Spring Wheat Overview
North Dakota Update
- Joel Ransom, North Dakota State University (NDSU) Extension
- Andrew Green, NDSU Spring Wheat Breeder
- Field Reports from ND Producers
- Cassidy Marn, Montana Wheat & Barley Committee
- Field Reports from Montana producers
South Dakota Update
- Reid Christopherson, South Dakota Wheat Commission
- Field Reports from South Dakota producers
- Charlie Vogel, Minnesota Wheat Research and Promotion Council
- Jim Anderson, University of Minnesota
- Jochum Wiersma, University of Minnesota
- Field Reports from Minnesota producers
2020 Disease Outlook
- Andrew Friskop, NDSU Extension
Wrap up and Questions