State Wheat Commission Members Support Wheat Farmers and Engage with Consumers
U.S. Wheat Associates (USW) is supported by a highly successful public-private partnership that includes 17 state wheat commissions. Wheat producers contribute a portion of their wheat sales (either by bushel or by production value and known as a “checkoff” program) to their state wheat commission and contribute a portion of the checkoff to join USW. On average, U.S. wheat farmers contribute about one third of a penny per bushel ($0.0032) to USW. In return, USW’s works closely with its state wheat commission members to carry out its mission “to develop, maintain, and expand international markets to enhance the profitability of U.S. wheat producers and its value for their customers.”
On the state level, these commissions invest funds in various educational projects and ongoing communications efforts to support wheat farmers and engage with consumers, domestically and overseas. We thank USW state commission members’ commitment to building demand for U.S. wheat and highlight some of their activities and resources here.
- Find more information about the Arizona Grain Research & Promotion Council’s news and activities here.
- The California Wheat Commission’s quarterly newsletter highlights its recent activities, programs and news. Read online here and follow the commission’s activities on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
- The Colorado Wheat Administrative Committee posts weekly crop progress reports on its website and other news and activities on Facebook and Twitter.
- By using the registered tagline ‘Quality wheat simply grown’ and a new, more modern logo, Idaho wheat farmers are connecting on a more personal level with consumers who want to know their food is grown naturally on family farms. Visit the Idaho Wheat website here and follow its news and activities on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
- Kansas wheat farmers are the driving force behind the Eat Wheat campaign and website, which aims to create awareness of farm and production practices through the lens of food as identity. Stay up to date on the Kansas Wheat Commission’s other news and activities on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- The Maryland Grain Producers Utilization Board continues its support of Maryland Farm & Harvest, a 30-minute TV show that highlights Maryland agricultural production. All of the episodes are available online here. The board also shares its news and activities on Facebook and Twitter.
- The Montana Wheat and Barley Committee routinely posts updates on crop progress, news and other activities on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- The Nebraska Wheat Board posts weekly crop progress reports on it website and keeps member up to date on its news and activities on Facebook and Twitter.
- The North Dakota Wheat Commission is publishing weekly Crop Progress Reports every Tuesday. Read the reports here and stay up to date with the commission on Facebook.
- The Ohio Small Grains Checkoff build strategic partnership with the education industry through its Feed the World The checkoff also shares its news and activities on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
- The Oklahoma Wheat Commission recently partnered with the Oklahoma State University Food & Agricultural Products Center for a day-long event called All You Knead to Know – An Artisan and Grain Workshop. The new, annual event walked participants through the journey wheat goes on from field to fork. Read more about this event here and stay up to date with the commission’s other news and activities on Facebook.
- The Oregon Wheat Commission is showcasing wheat growers and Oregon State University (OSU) researchers through videos to help connect consumers to agriculture. The first video features Dr. Hagerty from the Columbia Basin Agricultural Research Center (CBARC) in Pendleton, Ore. View the video here and follow along with the commission’s other new and activities on Facebook and Twitter.
- The South Dakota Wheat Commission posts regular crop progress reports and other news and resources on Facebook and Twitter.
- The Texas Wheat Producers Board publishes regular crop progress reports and board news and activities on Facebook and Twitter, as well as a wide range of wheat industry resources on its website.
- The “Wheat All About It” weekly podcast, hosted by the Washington Grain Commission, features guests from all over the U.S. wheat industry discussing important current issues. Listen to the podcast here. The commission also shares its news and activities on Facebook and Twitter.
- Find more information about the Wyoming Wheat Marketing Commission’s news and activities here.