Wheat Industry News
Recent news and highlights from around the U.S. wheat industry.
Speaking of Wheat. “…While the [wheat] charts are showing some signs of stabilization (maybe…), they need a bullish input to re-start the rally, which…may, or may not…develop for a while. I mentioned the reports coming out [Sept. 30]. They could easily be market movers, and not necessarily what you hope for, so …please make sure you’re comfortable with your marketing plans.” Dan Maltby, Risk Management Group, Chanhassen, Minn.
Today’s USDA Small Grains Annual Summary report offered a better understanding of how much hard red spring (HRS) wheat was not harvested for grain (abandoned or baled for animal feed) in 2021. The report indicated that about 12% of HRS planted area in South Dakota, Minnesota, North Dakota Montana was not harvested for grain, which compares to less than 2% not harvested in 2020. Total HRS production at 297.4 million bushels is down 44% from 2020 production. Durum production is down 46% from 2020 levels. USDA pegged total U.S. soft white (SW) production at slightly more than 175 million bushels, which is down about 37% from 2020. U.S. hard red winter, soft red winter and hard white production increased in 2021 compared to 2020.
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada in a recent report stated that “for all principal field crops, a low level of carry-in stocks (beginning year inventories) combined with a substantial decrease in production is expected to result in a 25% decline in total supplies, which more-than offsets a sharp decline in exports and results in a further tightening of carry-out stocks to a record low level.”
From Kansas Wheat. “The fall fieldwork season is a flurry of activity as Kansas farmers harvest fall crops, eye the end of haying and put this year’s wheat crop in the ground. As they do, the U.S. grain supply chain is also hard at work, moving this year’s crop through an extensive network to destinations foreign and domestic. Tracking the ebb and flow of wheat through the U.S. wheat supply chain is yet another tool Kansas farmers can use in their grain marketing plans for the upcoming year.” Read more here.
GMO Wheat In the News. Reuters reported this week that Brazilian flour millers stated publicly that they are against processing imported wheat with a transgenic trait that helps the variety be more drought-tolerant. Commercialization of the transgenic variety in Argentina is contingent on Brazil’s approval of the variety. Reuters reported that the head of Abitrigo, the Brazilian Wheat Industry Association, said its members may stop buying wheat from Argentina if Brazil’s government approves imports of the variety.
Subscribe to USW Reports. USW publishes various reports and content that are available to subscribe to, including a bi-weekly newsletter highlighting recent Wheat Letter blog posts and wheat industry news, the weekly Price Report and the weekly Harvest Report (available May to October). Subscribe here.
Follow USW Online. Visit our Facebook page for the latest updates, photos and discussions of what is going on in the world of wheat. Also, find breaking news on Twitter, video stories on Vimeo and more on LinkedIn.